Wednesday, March 14, 2012

01: to Houston by Reykjavik

I'm currently traveling to Houston, Texas to work as an intern in the spring 2012. The internship is part of my Masters degree in Entrepreneurship and Innovation management and it lasts from 18th of march until 8th of June. I plan to then do a roadtrip through the US before my visa expires, but I'll get more into that later.

Just now I'm in Reykjavik, Iceland. I booked a flight from Norway to Reykjavik and will spend two nights here enjoying the moon landscape of Iceland during the winter. It's not a good picture, but it gives an idea of what you can expect on Iceland during the winter. (Or maybe not?
)


It's weird to get on the bus from Keflavik airport to Reykjavik.. The only trees you see are those planted outside the airport, and in fact.. Every single tree on Iceland have been planted there by man! The uninhabited areas are baren, wind blown stretches covered with green moss and lichen. It doesn't help that the area around Keflavik airport is one of the youngest (geologically speaking) volcanic areas on Iceland. Wind and weather haven't had time to scour down the jagged rocks yet.

When I arrived at my hotel (Bjork) it was 18:00 in local time and I was famished. I asked for a recommendation on a restaurant and I ended up at a place called Fiskfélagið ( Fish Company ).


It's an esquisite restaurant, probably one of the most expensive local places.. I had a 5 course meal called 'Around Iceland' and it was a fabulous meal! I recommend both the place and the menu. It costs around 8000ISK (or around 360NOK with the current exchange rate).

No comments: