Monday, March 19, 2012

04: From New York to Houston with love

So, I slept thursday-friday night in New York at Jamaica Day Inn, a really low quality (by european standard) hotel. It's a hotel with a free shuttle bus to/from JFK that specialize on overnight guests traveling through JFK and it tells. The included breakfast is about as cheap as it's possible to get, nuke-em-donuts( the kind that can be kept in room temperature on the counter for months without any signs of mould), Jam in small containers and a instant-waffel mix dispenser with a waffel iron. Really, I've never paid 100USD for something so shitty in my life.
I have to give them some credit though, it did seem like the bedsheets were clean and the staff was polite. I didn't feel the need to harass them, they are probably paid like crap anyway. :/

The TSA checkin was exactly what I expected it to be.. you get 3 different choices. a) Stand in the 1.5 hour line with the rest of the pleebs and lower classes.
b) Bring children so you get to bypass he 1.5 hour line and stand in the 30 minute line.
c) Submit to a pre-approval and pay a special "quality service fee" so you get to stand in the 10 minute line. Probably also involves a obligatory anal probe, submitting a blood sample to TSA and agreeing to only take the blue pill if given the offer.

Beyond that, I was positively surprised by the Jetblue service and quality. The flight to Houston was 3.5 hour and went without a hitch. I had expected to arrive at Bush international airport, but I did end up at William P. Hobby airport.. good that the representative from Innovation Norway (Eric) didn't try to pick me up at Bush international after all. ^^

The apartment looks good btw. I've seen better from my childhood at different diplomatic homes and embassies, but it could have been much worse. The kitchen is lacking in utensils though.. How can a chef make proper food without even a proper chopping knife? *horror*

The weekend was spent a) buying food from the local food court with the help of Eric The Driver(tm). Then a lot of walking the 15 minutes to the nearest mall (The Galleria) to buy utensils and watch my female roomies go crazy shopping clothes and lingerie at Victoria's secret.
Eric also threw a nice party at his parents place with his parents stepping in as wonderful hosts. Free margaritas, good food and getting a chance to know the other grunderskolen students. Some of them are obviously just kids, but thankfully not obnoxious kids. :)

My roomies seems nice to, I think we can get along as soon as they get used to my peculiarities. ;-)

PS. Pictures will follow in the next post.

No comments: