Thursday, March 15, 2012

03: Blue lagoon, outside keflavik

Blue Lagoon is an outdoor spa about 1 hours bus ride from Reykjavik (or 20 minutes from Keflavik Airport for those who would like to go there directly). It is quite relaxing and I'm so going to come back. I can imagine spending a whole weekend in luxury on Iceland if I can just convince someone to come along as entertainment. Reykjavik has good food and the spa is amazing. Far better than the hot springs I enjoyed in Hakone, Japan (less sulphuric smell from your hair afterwards).

An the name Blue Lagoon? It's not a just a marketing word.. Look at the image and imagine yourself with a glass of wine/beer/beverage of your choice, a good book and good company.. and a whole day to spend on turning into a prune. Including the bus fare, towel and a robe it cost about 10000ISK (~450NOK).

On the way to the Blue Lagoon I started chatting with a couple in the bus, it turns out they were from Portland, Oregon (Hi Hillary!) and were both recently pensioned. She was a former teacher and he a seed salesman. We ended up talking a bit both on the way to the spa, in the spa and while going to the bus. And they were nice to take a picture of me with wet hair and not looking my best.

Unfortunately we missed the bus going back to Reykjavik by 20 seconds and were left fuming as the next bus was scheduled 2 hours later.. Fortunately another US couple were in the same situation and had the presence of mind to just call the bus company and tell the driver to return to pick us up. So it all ended well.. and I repaid both the US couples by tipping them of about the great restaurant I went to yesterday. Yay!

1 comment:

Freya said...

im game for ablue lagoon.